The Most Popular Board Games of all Time!
In this article you will find the most popular board games of all time old and new! How many do you know?
The most popular board game there is dating back to almost 1500 years ago Chess is one of the oldest and most popular board games ever. The game was first conceived in northern India in the 6th century AD and spread all across the Muslim world. Chess is so popular due to a number of reasons primarily:
- It is so old
- It is easy to play yet hard to master, allowing for the game to a lot of replay ability
- The Internet has help explode the popularity of the game even further with many online Chess website popping up
- Chess has developed a huge competitive scene with clubs in schools and tournaments all around the world
Go is the one of the most popular board games that is about surrounding more territory than the opponent and is meant for two players. This abstract game was first born in China prior to the Zhou dynasty (1046-256 BCE). So what makes Go so popular?
- Go is extremely old
- Go was born in China which had a large population and was popular among scholars, and later spread all throughout Asia
- Go is very simple in concept but allows for unique gameplay
- Go has a competitive scene popular in China, Japan, South Korea, Taiwan , the United States and Europe.
Checkers is one of the most popular board games of all time as well. Checkers has been around since around 3000 B.C and has survived the test of time.
Checkers much like Chess has exploded on the Internet and is a game of skill and strategy. Checkers is so popular and easy to learn many restaurants and schools have Checker boards to play on!
Dating back to 3000 B.C Backgammon is another one of the most popular board games of all time that is familiar to everyone. In Backgammon players must use a combination of strategy and luck to win. The game involves a pair of dice to see how far players can move their pieces and players must make their moves carefully or else they will be destroyed.
Scrabble is the word making game that everyone knows and loves, which helps to make it one of the most popular board games of all time. Scrabble is much newer than the games previously mentioned which explains why it is not quite as popular as the others. Here are some facts about Scrabble:
- Scrabble was made in 1938 by Alfred Mosher Butts.
- In Scrabble players use letter pieces they have and letter pieces on the board to make words and score points.
- There is actually an official Scrabble dictionary that is the baseline for all words allowed in the game.
Made by the Parker Brothers in 1934 Monopoly was born to be a hit. Monopoly has sold over 250 million sets which shows just how much this game is loved. I remember fondly all the childhood games of Monopoly that lasted hours on end and were grueling. Today Hasbro has made plenty of new and exciting twists on the classic Monopoly game to keep people buying the game and keep it relevant.